Monday, March 16, 2009

Get On With It.

recycle ? reuse . reduce !

There's a justifiable negativity, a dark wrath about many environmental issues facing us.
Today, I heard concerns from our neighbors about the glut of plastic recyclables sitting on the West Coast that China is refusing due to lack of labor and buyers.
Then, we went to our town recycling center and saw the glut there and our own small additions.
I also heard that the recent powershift09 protest in Washington D.C. was overshadowed in the media by Rush Limbaugh's image problems. Rush vs the quality of our children's air and what power solutions will be sustainable?

There are head-in-the-sand denials in the U.S., there are glum, slouching through the days waiting for the worst types, there are panicked activists, there are tree-sitting meditators all in our midst.
I'm on the side of the British "just get on with it"s, wherever they are.
Every moment is an opportunity to reduce, cut our wasteful, damaging habits and to smile and love as well. To work on tough problems with grace and trust.
Today, I'm going to not throw a single thing "away" if I can. And unplug every single thing I can.
If I can learn a new OS, a new gadget, a new chord, song or lyric, I can learn new habits that will help us all right now.
And tomorrow.
Time to get on with it.

No comments: